Adventure through the Soutpansberg:
The Soutpansberg this and the Soutpansberg that… How many times I had heard that word during my childhood. Like is was a fantastic place. Then I had a chance to go there. I must say springtime is the best time… to go there!
The Soutpansberg is found in the Limpopo area, of northern Transvaal, South Africa.
Our eldest daughter took my husband and myself to the Kruger National park more than ten years ago and instead of going straight home to Johannesburg, we detoured back home through the Soutpansberg.
One of the places we visited was the Spring Festival in Haenertburg.
Not only did we see the flowers, arts and crafts at the hotel and beer garden marquees, we also spent a lot of time at the Cheerio Gardens.
The Cheerio Gardens are so beautiful.
You’ll find mass of azaleas there, nestling between trees and around ponds. The tranquility of the stream running through the farm and its vegetation brings peace to the soul. It’s a ‘must see’ place to go to.
To see what more the place offers, check out http://cheeriogardens.co.za/
The Soutpansberg climate:
- Summer time: 340-2000 mm rain and temperature 16-40°C
- Winter time: Dry weather and temperature 12-22°C
Rock art & archaeology:
- The rock art consists of engravings and paintings: found mainly in the western section of the mountains.
- Archaeology: Evidence of early Stone Age up to the late Iron Age.
Culture & natural talent:
Potters, drum makers, bead workers and dressmakers
Nature reserves in the Soutpansberg:
There are many nature reserves in the Soutpansberg. The following list of wild animals and wild life may vary according to each reserve. So check out what you want to see before booking into a reserve.
- The big five: Elephants, rhino, lions, leopards, wildebeest
- Buck: Kudu, impala, eland, waterbuck, gems buck, sable, nyala and roan antelope
- Other wild animals: Warthog, bush pig, hyena, wild dog, buffalo, giraffe, crocodile and hippo
- Also: Indigenous birds, reptiles and fish.
Have you ever been to the Soutpansberg?
Just pop your comment in the comments block at the bottom of this blog post. Love to hear from you.
Want to see more paintings and places in South Africa?
Click on the two categories below. They are found in the left sidebar of any one of the menu pages you click on:
- Photo Demos
- Location Adventures